Saturday, 29 March 2008

Treasues from the past

A sweet lacy baby dress, definitely at least 10 years ago I started this, if not 14!
White fluffy mohair bolero from last winter, It has errors in the pattern and I just didn't want to deal with it at the time-lol
Baby bunny only been waiting a month or so but I really want to finish it - finally sewn up
The classic cardigan, started for either Rohan(12 years ago) Or Alexander (7 years ago)-lol - so very finished 23-5-2008
A jumper for me, I couldn't remember how the neck went so there it sat, from over 12 years ago when we lived in Bendigo
A pretty pram blanket or capsule cover absolutely gorgeous and I really want to finish it eventually
Pretty pink jumper that I never finished because I thjought I would run out of wool! It was for Cassi or Jennifer I think!
A gorgeous peplum style jumper I barely started as I just never got enough time, I believe it was for Cassi

I went on a trip down memory lane today!

I went searching in the deepest darkest back of my wardrobe and found the box!

The box of UFO'S from another time and place, baby garments started for my now grown big girls and a sweater for me etc. I hauled them out and took pictures and loaded them onto ravelry to help motivate me to finish them or to frog them.

It was invigorating to feel the urge to go hunting for them, I feel like part of me is waking up from a very long sleep, whilst another part says it is just so very tired and ready to rest. I hope to be able to get something done with them one way or another as they make me feel like a quitter and a failure for not knitting fast enough that they were worthwhile!

It's time to admit they exist.

They have been moved to an easily accessible container in with my stash( which by the way I am in progress on sorting so I don't go buying wool when I have enough) I hope if I need something different to be able to effect swaps on ravelry rather than shop.

Lots of finished projects

The teeny tiny socks- I love how well they match in pattern
This is it! Fast and warm jumper for Logan
Hand spun hat swatch hat for Alex
Two needle socks semed and perfect fit for Logan
Dragon skin soaker for Logan from Gorgeous Patons Jet in punk knitters pattern, Very easy and fast knit

I have finished off and started lots of projects over the last few weeks including my bag swap bag which is on it's way to it's recipient who I truly hope likes it!

I also made some tiny socks( Thanks to Gill for the wool and telling me how) and a hat from handspun woolThis was a swatch for hat attack, it was too big in circumference to look right with the umbilical knot at the top so I ripped that out and finished it off and it fits Bella and Alex nicely( and even me but has been claimed-lol) and a jumper for Logan is finished off and the little 2 needle socks have been seamed as well.
Also made the dragon skin soaker( so called because Bella was drawing a dragon and making green scales and she said my knitting looked like her dragon picture.

Bag Swap Bag

HI, I finished my bag ready to send off to my swappee, Hurray!
I chose to make in Paton's Inca in raspberry red as it reminded me of rubies and garnets and my swappee loves jewel colours.
This was a hige challene for me as I have only been knitting very plain stocking stitch based beginner style items since all the stress of Cassi being ill, I couldn't knit at all for over a year, I would take it with me in the car and force myself to knit a row( this was Bella's hat to match her bell sleeved sweater- I stull have not finished that hat!
I have never designed and/or made a bag of any sort before

This was hard work but a pleasure at the same time. I started many times over before settling on this bag. I cast on and knit the base and then cast off, I then picked up stitches for each side individually as I wanted the pick up ridge to provide shape to the bag. I then picked up the narrow sides and picked up stitches from either side so they made some structure as well, I them did a fold over edge which i slipstitched down.

Then the hard part, the lining! I had found the perfect match in quilter's cotton and whilst the bag was blocking I cut a rough paper pattern and then spent a long, long time pinning trying to get the fit even and right. I made a covered plastic insert for the base by cutting and sewing a display book cover to size and then covering it with matching fabric.

O them attached the magnetic clasp and finally the gorgeous handle which a dear friend's MIL picked up for me from her local shop and then brought down next time she made the long drive to visit( I am very grateful for their kindness) I then wrapped it up with some little pressies and sent it off.

The magnetic clasp and lining

The bag open, showing the reinforced base