HI, I finished my bag ready to send off to my swappee, Hurray!
I chose to make in Paton's Inca in raspberry red as it reminded me of rubies and garnets and my swappee loves jewel colours.
This was a hige challene for me as I have only been knitting very plain stocking stitch based beginner style items since all the stress of Cassi being ill, I couldn't knit at all for over a year, I would take it with me in the car and force myself to knit a row( this was Bella's hat to match her bell sleeved sweater- I stull have not finished that hat!
I have never designed and/or made a bag of any sort before
This was hard work but a pleasure at the same time. I started many times over before settling on this bag. I cast on and knit the base and then cast off, I then picked up stitches for each side individually as I wanted the pick up ridge to provide shape to the bag. I then picked up the narrow sides and picked up stitches from either side so they made some structure as well, I them did a fold over edge which i slipstitched down.
Then the hard part, the lining! I had found the perfect match in quilter's cotton and whilst the bag was blocking I cut a rough paper pattern and then spent a long, long time pinning trying to get the fit even and right. I made a covered plastic insert for the base by cutting and sewing a display book cover to size and then covering it with matching fabric.
O them attached the magnetic clasp and finally the gorgeous handle which a dear friend's MIL picked up for me from her local shop and then brought down next time she made the long drive to visit( I am very grateful for their kindness) I then wrapped it up with some little pressies and sent it off.
The magnetic clasp and lining
The bag open, showing the reinforced base